Sunday, May 11, 2014

Avocado Fries with Mint Cilantro Dipping Sauce


I’m not a fan of avocado. I used to eat the fruit when I was a kid, but as I grew up I became less interested in eating them. Call me stupid, but to be honest, I stopped eating them when I was 10 something, and  it was like a long long time ago. Since then, every time I have meals and drinks containing avocados—either it’s guacamole, pesto, salad, frosting, juices, hair mask, face mask, or anything—I  will just omit the fruit. 


But it’s all changed after I found ‘Avocado Fries’ on the list menu at Jamie Oliver’s Diner. I looked at the picture, thinking they were french fries served with some kind of guacamole dip or with chunks of avocados sprinkled of them.  I knocked my head because it has never dawned on me, but looking at them, I can just imagine the outside crunch and that inside creamy  green.  Owwwwmygaaaaaawd Emoticon screaming in fear , it is AVOCADO! I’ll have to try this when I get my hands on some good avocados.



Then I bit into them, and I—who is no fan of eating avocado on its own—realized that I was in heaven.  Crunchy on the outside, warm and creamy on the inside. I was so shocked. I had never heard of them before and for some reason the thought of deep-frying avocados had never crossed my mind. They were possibly the most indulgent thing to ever cross my lips. Incredibly delicious. They are worth it, trust me on this one.


I cannot believe that it has taken me this long to get around to trying them out as fries.  Like the other vegetable fries, these avocado fries are super simple to make.  You just need to slice up the avocado, dredge them in seasoned flour, dip them in egg and panko, then fry them until golden brown. 


I couldn’t get Jamie’s original recipe, so I would just try to make them as close as what I saw and tasted. Jamie's fries were thicker and shorter, mine were thinner and longer. These can be delicious if you use the right type of avocado. The secret of these fries is not to use over-ripe avocados.  They really should be fairly firm, but not totally unripe.  I don’t mind if they’re a little soft inside, but you definitely don’t want them mushy.  Please make sure to add some salt to your flour (I use lemon pepper and salt) or better yet use seasoned bread crumbs.  You can add herbs to the bread crumbs if you like, but I just let the creamy flavor of the avocado do all the talking. Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce, such as sour cream and dill sauce, chipotle, yoghurt, tomato salsa, mayonnaise, or whatever.  I use mint and cilantro dipping sauce with lemon juice.


For recipe in Indonesian click HERE

Ingredients:

Avocado wedges
·         2 firm-ripe medium avocados, pitted, peeled, and slice into ½ inch wedges
·         ¼ cup flour
·         2 large eggs, beaten to blend
·         1 tsp lemon pepper
·         1 tsp kosher salt
·         1 ½ cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
·         Canola oil for deep-frying

Mint Cilantro Dipping Sauce
·         7 tbsp mayonnaise
·         2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
·         1 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
·         ½ of lemon, juiced


Directions:

Avocado Wedges
1.       In a deep-frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat to about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).


2.       Meanwhile, in 3 separate small shallow bowls, place flour seasoned with salt and lemon pepper, beaten eggs, and bread crumbs.  Line large plate with kitchen towels.



3.       Remove pit and peel from avocados.  Cut each avocados into ½ inch wedges.  Deep one wedge into seasoned flour to coat, tap the excess.  Dip into beaten eggs to coat, then coat with bread crumbs.  Continue until all wedges are breaded.


4.       In batches, carefully place breaded avocado wedges in hot oil.  Fry 30 to 60 seconds on each side or until golden brown.


5.       Carefully removed fried wedges from pan.  Place on towel-lined plate.  Serve with dipping sauce of your choice

Mint Cilantro Dipping Sauce
1.       Place all ingredients into food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
2.       Taste and adjust seasonings.
3.       Place in container, cover and chill for 1 hour.


Bahasa Indonesia
Bahan:

Potongan Alpukat
·         2 buah alpukat setengah matang ukuran sedang, belah, buang bijinya, kupas, dan iris menjadi potongan memanjang  setebal ½ inch
·         ¼ cup tepung terigu
·         2 telur, kocok lepas
·         1 sdt bumbu lemon pepper
·         1 sdt garam
·         1 ½ cups panko (tepung roti Jepang)
·         Minyak Canola untuk menggoreng

Saus Celup Daun Mint Ketumbar
·         7 sdm mayonnaise
·         2 sdm daun ketumbar segar, iris kasar
·         1 sdm daun mint segar, iris kasar
·         ½ jeruk lemon, peras airnya

Cara:

Potongan Alpukat
1.       Panaskan minyak dalam wajan (bisa juga  menggunakan panci kecil) dengan panas sedang-tinggi sekitar 350 derajat F (175 dderajat C).


2.       Sementara itu, di dalam 3 mangkok yang berbeda, masing-masing tempatkan terigu yang sudah dibumbui dengan garam dan lemon pepper, telur kocok, dan tepung roti.    



3.       Belah alpukat memanjang, buang bijinya, dan kupas kulitnya.  Iris menjadi potongan memanjang setebal ½ inch.  Balur tiap potongan alpukat dengan tepung berbumbu, buang kelebihan tepung.  Celupkan ke dalam telur kocok dan balur dengan tepung roti.  Lakukan sampai semua potongan alpukat terbalur tepung roti.


4.       Goreng alpukat dalam minyak yang banyak dan panas selama 30 sampai 60 detik atau sampai berwarna kuning keemasan.  Jangan menggoreng terlalu banyak alpukat dalam satu kali proses pengorengan.


5.       Angkat dan tempatkan pada wadah yang telah dialasi dengan tisu makan untuk menyerap kelebihan minyak.  Sajikan selagi hangat dengan saus celup pilihan Anda.


Saus Celup Daun Mint-Ketumbar

1.       Masukkan semua bahan ke dalam food processor atau blender.  Hancurkan sampai halus.
2.       Tambahkan bumbu sesuai selera.
3.       Tempatkan dalam wadah tertutup dan dinginkan selama 1 jam sebelum disajikan.





No comments:

Post a Comment